Adventures: Nicaragua 2016 - New Perspectives

Traveling is something that I have always wanted to do growing up. It is the one thing that I did not get the chance to do often growing up because of my family's financial situation. It was difficult growing up in a household where my parents are immigrants and were only able to make ends meet. It was hard and sometimes frustrating to see and hear about all the great traveling stories from my friends and family. Every summer break, they would always go on vacation and see the world, but what was I doing? Either I'd just be at home bored or working when I was of age.

Last year, I fortunately had the chance to work for an organization that allowed me to travel for work. At first, I was travelling more for work purposes - going to visit stakeholders and running workshops/programs and it soon got tiring and boring. As I slowly lost my desire to travel, an opportunity came up for me to lead a school trip to Nicaragua. At first, I was hesitant because it would be my first time travelling alone and going to a country that I was not familiar with. It is a very different country than Canada or United States -  it is a country that lacks a number of basics necessities that we take for granted back home (Canada) such as clean drinking water, well established education system and more. Nevertheless, I took the opportunity and I did not regret anything. 

I had the chance to lead a group of Canadian students to a local community called, San Diego in Nicaragua to spend some time volunteering there. As a group, we were able to repaint the school and library building, build two new benches for the students and started on making a school garden to provide nutritious lunches for the local students. Aside from the wonderful projects that we were able to participate in, we also had the chance to interact with the local students. Despite the language barrier, it was one of the best moments of the trip. Seeing everyone play with each other, trying to learn each other's languages, holding hands, hugs, piggy back rides, laughter and then the painful goodbye.

During my stay in Nicaragua, it gave me a lot of new perspectives and I hope it will last a lifetime. This trip gave me new perspectives of life and opportunities in life. I witnessed how it is like to live in a world or place, where there are limited opportunities for people and even if there are, it is limited to certain people based on their gender, financial abilities, and power. I began to think about my life in Canada, where I am fortunate to live a very privileged life.  

Nicaragua is one place I never thought I would travel to. Some people have never heard of Nicaragua before. To be honest neither did I prior to this trip. However, I am so glad that I took the opportunity that was given to me. Nicaragua is such a beautiful place that is often overshadowed by other countries in South America. It is a place that is worth visiting and learning about.

Comments

Popular Posts