Life at work: Fast Food

To start off, I've been working at fast food for about 5 years and yes, that is a looong time. The only reason why I am still there is because the manager I have is absolutely amazing and I get stable hours that can be easily accommodated to my school schedule and etc.

When you work at fast food, just like it's called, be prepared to go FAST. You cannot survive if you are slow...well maybe you CAN survive but trust me, your co workers might not like you. Another thing that people might not know is that, working at fast food, you're better off if you're kinda smart. It's very frustrating for others to having to tell you exactly what to do and who to help when it's really busy. Observe and go help. It does sound a little complicated but people usually get the hang of it once they've been there for a while.

So when working at fast food, be prepared to serve and encounter numerous of rude customers. You would think that people will at least have the minimum amount of manners but NOPE, totally wrong. Some people can't even say "thank you" or even "please." Instead they demand you and talk to you like you are their servants and are meant to serve them. Yes we are getting paid to work there but that does not mean that we are less than human or not as equal as them. Working at fast food is a precarious job and possibly one of the low status jobs but that does not allow others to disrespect people who work there. The reason why I think that people are extremely rude, disrespectful and have no manners is because I've encountered countless of people like that. To be honest, from where I work, many of us try our best to put on good customer service and at least for myself, I apologize and offer to redo their entire order even if it is not our fault. I do understand the concept of customer service but even when I do that, the responds that I receive is ridiculous. I mean, sometimes it is our fault and we're more than happy to either exchange your goods or redo it etc, but sometimes it is not even our fault AT ALL and we're still willing to exchange and redo the goods but people are just rude.

Now when I tell others about that, some people tell me that its reasonable that customers get angry and annoyed when their goods are either wrong or there was a mistake which means they have to wait longer. And yes, I agree, because I'm a customer myself and I totally understand how that feels, I'm not saying that customers don't have the right to be upset, sure they do but that does not account for them to be throwing swear words and derogatory terms at us. Sometimes things are not in our control and something that I encountered at work recently that intrigued me to post this is that one of our machines were currently not working at the moment and we were currently fixing it. A customer wanted to order the goods from that machine but we apologized nicely and offered to make/provide other goods to them that can some be equivalent to it. Again, I did not expect the customer be happy about it and that it was reasonable for them to be annoyed or upset but what actually happened is that they drove through the drive-thru and as they passed the window, they shouted "Fuck you" to me, totally uncalled for.

I understand the anger that people have but I really don't think is it appropriate under any situations for customers to disrespect people who work at fast food with curse words or cursing/calling them names.

Comments

Popular Posts